Bills of Quantities
Kelly & O’Callaghan Limited specialise in the production of Bills of Quantities. Our coverage includes a wide variety of areas including residential, commercial, industrial, sports & recreation facilities, retail facilities, hotels, utility buildings and civil works (roads, sewers, water services). (see projects)
Bills of Quantities comprise a list of items of work which are to be completed in order to erect a building project. The Bills of Quantities also provide a measure of the extent of work and this allows the work to be priced. The work included in the item is defined in detail by the rules set out in the Method of Measurement (ARM4). The item descriptions are therefore a shorthand to allow the relevant rules of the Method of Measurement to be identified. The measure may be a single item or number, dimension (linear metre, square metre, cubic metre), time (hrs, weeks) or weight (tonne).
The Bills of Quantities may serve a number of functions as:
A breakdown of the tendered price, with no contractual status, but providing information for the selection from tenderers;
- An estimate measure of the work for the tendered price, to be used to arrive at a revised contract price once the actual quantities of work carried out are measured.
- This is the remeasure form of contract.
- A schedule of rates as the contract basis for valuing variations in the work.
- A basis for measure of the value of work completed for interim payments
- All Bills of Quantities are carefully checked by means of our own internal quality system. Liaison with other professional services is paramount and we ensure our presence at all design team meetings and advise accordingly with regard to cost comparisons and cost alternative solutions.
Our final documents are carefully examined before issue, firstly to the client and secondly to other members of the professional design team and these Bills of Quantities form an integral part of the tender package.
We also undertake a tender report at the return of tender and return to the client a full tender analysis with a recommendation for the most suitable tender. Alternatively, we will undertake a Schedule of Rates Document upon request of the clients.
We check all interim applications for payment from the Main Contractor and issue recommendations based on our analysis of these.